The Silver Eyes
Five Nights at Freddy’s: The Silver Eyes is the main adaptation of the famous FNaF series by Scott Cawthon even though it takes you to an alternate cosmos. It’s known as a horror mystery novel that was already published in 2015 by Scott Cawthon and Kira Breed-Wrisley. The game is much inspired by FNaF 1 and it has nothing to do with the events that happened in the game series.
It’s been ten years already after the terrifying slaughter at a famous restaurant called Freddy Fazbear’s Pizzeria that tore the town apart. The father of Charlie possessed the restaurant. She made a reunion with her childhood friends on the anniversary of the catastrophe and they came to the old pizzeria that got locked up as well as deserted for years. There is no way to get inside, however, they find one leading to the inside of the restaurant. When they get into it, they find that things got changed! Four animatronic mascots have altered too. These animatronics have returned carrying a dark secret together with the homicidal schedule.
A 17-year-old girl named Charlie coming back to her childhood home of Hurricane, Utah in 1995 so as to take part in the introduction of a scholarship devoted to her school friend named Michael Brooks that already went missing for ten years. When she returns, she meets some childhood friends, including Jessica, John, and Carlton. These friends make such a big reunion after years of being separated. They made a decision on coming back to the place where their friend, Michael, died. And that place is called Freddy Fazbear’s Pizza. It is an entertaining restaurant that used to belong to Charlie’s father.
There is a shopping mall built in the place of the restaurant, and it’s incomplete. But when these friends carry out a further investigation, they find that the restaurant is still standing with the mall built around it. They decide to break into it to discover the surroundings inside of this deserted restaurant. When taking a look around, they catch sight of four animatronic mascots, including Freddy Fazbear, Bonnie the Bunny and Chica the Chicken. They are the animatronic entertainers designed by Charlie’s father.
Charlie and her friends participate in the scholarship’s launch ceremony at the old school to commemorate Michael. John, a friend of Charlie, tells that he remembers that he saw someone in a yellow Freddy costume at the pizzeria on the day that Michael died. That person is so suspicious and probably involved in Michael’s death.
Charlie and her friends decide to make a comeback to the restaurant on that night. This time, they bring some other friends, such as Lamar, Marla and her brother Jason. At the restaurant, they find out the control panel that is still working, and it helps the robots move. Charlie discovers Foxy the Pirate Fox cutting her arm with the hook. In the next morning, Charlie tells John that her father possessed another restaurant named Fredbear’s Family Diner before transferring to Hurricane. That restaurant has two entertaining robots which are the yellow editions of Freddy Fazbear and Bonnie.
John and Charlie moved to the deserted diner in New Harmony, Utah. When they get there, Charlie remembers her brother Sammy when he got kidnapped by someone wearing a Bonnie costume. This caused the diner to fall into collapse, leading to the divorcement of Charlie’s parents. Charlie doubts these two occurrences, Sammy’s abduction, and Michael’s murder, are related to each other.
On that evening, Charlie and her friends come back to the Freddy Fazbear’s Pizza once again, but this time, the security guard, Dave, catch them. He’s working for this mall at night, and he threatens that he will call the police. To stop him from calling the police, Charlie suggests that Dave can go discover the restaurant with them, and he says yes to this suggestion. When the friends explore the control panel without paying attention to Dave, he takes a Spring Bonnie costume from a closet, then quickly kidnaps Carlton with the witness of Jason. The friends escape the restaurant and call for Police Officer Dunn. While they were gone, the door of the restaurant has been locked up.
Carlton’s father – a Police Chief named Clay Burke doesn’t believe what the friends are telling, and he thinks that his son is just playing a prank. Later, Charlie goes to talk to John and she tells him about her father. The restaurant was closed after Michael was killed, and then he committed suicide. With the death of her father, lots of people in the town doubt that he was a real murderer.
Officer Dunn gets back to the mall the next day in order to investigate the restaurant. However, he gets attacked and murdered by Dave. Charlie and John come to a library to find out the history of her father’s restaurant – Fredbear’s Family Diner. They discover an old newspaper article about the abduction of her brother Sammy, and they even find a picture of Dave who was known as the co-owner of the diner.
Carlton got stuck in one of the costumes by Dave in the restaurant. Dave makes clear that some of them are able to turn into robots through a chain of spring-loaded mechanisms called “spring locks”. If the locks get triggered while somebody is inside the costume, the metal elements will start squeezing the wearer to death. The real identity of Dave is William Afton. He is the co-owner of the restaurants and an insane psychopath who has to be responsible for the deaths of the little kids, namely Sammy, Michael and four other kids.
Jason flees and tries to save Carlton. Charlie, John, Lamar, Jessica, and Marla burst into the restaurant in order to rescue their friend. They must find Carlton and take him back! Charlie unfastens the spring locks and releases him from the costume. When they find a way out, four animatronics get triggered off and start chasing them through the restaurant.
According to what William tells, these robots are possessed by the resentful ghosts of his victims. William also says that they will chase down any invaders and try to kill them all. Charlie and her friends hide in a party room encircled by four robots. With the appearance of the fifth robot, Golden Freddy from Fredbear’s Family Diner, these friends are stopped. Charlie then realizes that this robot is being possessed by Michael’s spirit.
With the permission from Freddy, they are able to leave. Chief Burke comes to the restaurant to find the missing Officer Dunn. He gets attacked by William in the costume of Spring Bonnie. But then, Charlie triggers its spring locks, causing William to be crushed to death. When the corpse of William is being dragged away by the robots, Chief Burk leads all the kids out of the mall. The friends go their different ways, finishing this horror adventure! Prior to taking a leave from Hurricane, Charlie comes to her father’s grave, and she recalls all the happy days with him when she was a little kid.
- Henry: Henry is the alternate constant edition of Cassette Man from Freddy’s Fazbear Pizzeria Simulator. He becomes the late father of Charlotte Emily and Sammy. He also possesses Fredbear’s Family Diner and generated the animatronics in Freddy Fazbear’s Pizza.
- Charlotte Emily: Aka Charlie! She is a teenage girl that wears a white t-shirt, blue jeans pants and she has a pale skin. Similar to Jessica, she always puts on an olive green long sleeve jacket. Her hair and eyes are all brown.
- Sammy: In the novel, Sammy is the son of Henry and a twin brother of Charlie. His appearance is never depicted. But he probably has brown hair, brown eyes and a pale skin just like Charlie.
- Aunt Jen: She is known as the guardian of Charlie after her father’s death, Henry. She taught Charlie a lot and told her to be always ready for the toughness of the world.
- Carlton Burke: He is the son of Police Chief Clay Burke, and his mother Betty Burke. He’s also a friend of Charlie and a part of the group consisting of some teenagers. He is the one that got kidnapped and stuffed in a costume of a robot. After all, he is rescued by his friends!
- Betty Burke: She is the district attorney for Hurricane. She’s also the previous wife of Clay Burke and the mother of Carlton Burke.
- Clay Burke: Clay is the Police Chief in Hurricane. His former wife is Betty Burke and his son is Carlton Burke.
- Joan Brooks and Donald Brooks: They are Michael’s parents.
- Michael Brooks: He is a childhood friend of Charlie and one of the children that got murdered in Freddy Fazbear’s Pizza. His parents are Joan and Donald Brooks.
- Jason: He is the younger step-brother of Marla and a member of a group going to the deserted Freddy Fazbear’s Pizzeria. He is the one that witnessed Carlton gets abducted by “Bonnie”.
- Jessica: Jessica is a childhood friend of Charlie. Just like Charlie, she wears a fuchsia t-shirt, navy blue jeans pants, and a green long sleeve jacket. She also has brown hair and eyes too.
- John: He is also a teenage boy and a childhood friend of Charlie. He wears a white shirt, blue jeans, and a brown long sleeve jacket. His hair is black and his eyes are brown. He has a crush on Charlie! He is also known as a writer and a great observer of things around him. He always truly cares about Charlie, gives his assistance to her regardless of how dangerous or tough the situation is.
- Marla: Marla is also Charlie’s childhood friend. She’s friendly and somewhat hyper.
- Officer Dunn: Officer Dunn is known as an officer working for the Hurricane Police force. He is killed by Dave with a deadly knife. Dave kept him tight while he was bleeding out.
- William Afton: William Afton – aka Dave Miller, Springtrap, Psychopath and Spring Bonnie. In the novel, he originally possessed Fredbear’s Family Diner and Freddy Fazbear’s Pizza together with the father of Charlie – Henry. He is such a mechanical genius. He generated two springlock suits, and he uses one of them to kill the children.
- Dave Miller: In the novel, Dave Miller is William Afton. He becomes a security of the mall and changes his name into Dave Miller.
- Freddy Fazbear: Freddy Fazbear is a leader of an animatronic gang including Bonnie, Chica, and Foxy. He is known as an alternate replica of Freddy Fazbear from Five Nights at Freddy’s and a mascot of Freddy Fazbear’s Pizza.
- Bonnie the Rabbit: Just like Freddy Fazbear, Bonnie is also an alternate copy of Bonnie from Five Nights at Freddy’s. He is also known as the guitarist of Freddy Fazbear’s Pizza.
- Chica the Chicken & Mr. Cupcake: Chica is a white-yellow chicken – an alternate replica of Chica from FNaF and she’s also a mascot of Freddy Fazbear’s Pizza.
- Foxy the Pirate: Together with other animatronic mascots, Foxy also tries to scare the children. He is an alternate replica of Foxy from FNaF and the deactivated animatronic of Freddy Fazbear’s Pizza.
- Golden Freddy: Golden Freddy is also an alternate replica of Golden Freddy/Fredbear coming from FNaF. He is the spirit of Michael – a childhood friend of Charlie, John, Carlton Burke, Jessica, Marla, and Lamar. In the novel, he acts as a guide for these friends.
When the book was released worldwide, it reached the top rank on The New York Times bestseller list in Young Adult Paperbacks and stayed there for four weeks.
The book, of course, receives some positive feedback from the readers. Nevertheless, there are still some negative reviews from some people. They said that the lore of the book was incompatible with the lore of the game. To clarify this misunderstanding, Scott Cawthon replied that: “The games and the books should be considered to be separate continuities, even if they do share many familiar elements. So yes, the book is canon, just as the games are. That doesn’t mean that they are intended to fit together like two puzzle pieces. […] The book is a re-imagining of the Five Nights at Freddy’s story, and if you go into it with that mindset, I think you will really enjoy it.”